Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What to do what to do....

So even though it has been at the top of my mind for some time, it has finally become apparent that Chase's behavior is affecting his time at daycare as well. I struggle with this daily because I am so fearful that not only am I going to be continually embarrassed by his violence and tantrums, but also because he can hurt someone and apparently IS hurting kids at daycare. The issue at hand is simple really... My child is hyperactive and nobody is willing to work with me to find out why or what can be done to prevent his abusive and embarrassing behavior. I have asked his doctor about it, brought it up family and friends, and everyone seems to come to the same conclusion; he has ADHD. Ok... that very well could be, but at 3 1/2 nobody is going to test him or even begin to suggest that as far as any medical personnel is concerned. Its time to take some drastic measures to try to get this under control before he is kicked out of daycare and forever branded as the bad kid. Granted, we need to stop calling him Satan considering he is probably already developing a complex... but seriously. It was all in good fun in the beginning. Along with the running joke beginning with his 3rd birthday in which we laugh about him turning 3 begins the 2 year ritalin countdown. Hmmmm..... Not so funny in hindsight. The worst part about the whole thing is that we live in a world that is technology driven and you can solve anything and everything with a quick Google search. Works great for everything else under the sun except this. Every site is contradicting of the last. Cut out sugars and starches, cut out dairy and gluten-filled products, then the next article says to feed him caffeine and coat everything in cheese sauce and make meal time fun. Wait what?! First you say no sugar then you say pump him full of caffeine? I get that caffeine is a stimulant and a certain amount of it has the same affect as a small dose of ritalin, but isn't sugar a stimulant as well? Isn't part of this whole diet thing cutting out the stimulants? Ugh. The whole thing is just one giant contradiction. If he is simply hyperactive, then anything that we do ADHD treatment related will be counterproductive. I'm all for homeopathic remedies and whatnot as well, but seriously... how am I supposed to get my 3 year old to take a bunch of nasty vitamin pills? Come on. As for right now, I know that I am going to significantly decrease the amount of sugar that kid is consuming on a daily basis. No more sugary cereals, fruit snacks, juice boxes, etc. I am going to use his love of vegetables (raw and cooked) to my advantage... The big question is... Who is going to pay for that grocery bill? Ugh. I am open to suggestions, so feel free to comment. Grrrr.... I never had this problem with Kylie. This is all so new to me. I feel like a new mom and its driving me batty! I've been in this biz for 9 years dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment