Sunday, April 17, 2011

The curse of Eden Prairie

Ok... so its not the happiest of posts... but its been weighing heavily on my mind lately. For those that grew up in Ep, you are fully aware of this curse. It first began to really affect me in high school... but it began long before that when I was very very very young. The first that I can remember off the top of my head was Grant. Horribly tragic story. There was Carissa, and Matt, and Jason, and many more after high school. Jay being the most recent that hit close to home. There have been several in my sisters grades as well. The curse of Ep has been something so prevalent in our lives as young people from Ep. We all were connected in some way to one of the lost. Aside from losing those close to us, the worst part has to be the fact that even in our mid twenties, most of us are so accustomed to funerals and loss that it seems almost normal. As horrible of a thought as that is, you know you are agreeing with me. Losing a loved one is never easy and doesn't ever get any easier... but it IS something that we are all used to. It is absolutely absurd that young people from Eden Prairie have this somewhat irrational question in the back of their minds: who's next? How many more will we lose? It is a secret fear that we all have. If you have been lucky enough to not be somehow involved with a circle that has lost someone, then maybe that thought has never crossed your mind. There are some of us that have unfortunately been close to many that have passed. Don't get me wrong, I treasure every moment that I personally was able to spend with these dear friends that left us entirely too early. I wouldn't change knowing them for anything. They brought an element of light to my life that no one else could ever replicate or even attempt to. What bothers me the most about these lost friends is that they were the nicest of the nice. The sweetest human beings. The most outgoing and personable. They were wonderful people and didn't deserve a single bad word to be said about them, let alone lose their lives. It pains me to think that this will continue through adulthood as well. Not only do we lose family due to old age, illness, or tragedy, but we also have to process the loss of people so dear to our hearts that we feel shouldn't have been taken from us. It really makes you think. Everyone says that you need to live for today because no one is guaranteed tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's all people do... SAY IT. We need to DO it. Those that you love and appreciate, tell them. Don't let a second of your precious life be wasted on hatred or regret. Its not worth it. If you look at a few of my previous blogs... I can personally vouch for the relief and freedom that comes with letting go of petty bullshit. Move on. Live for those that belong close to you, but more so, live for yourself. Strive to reach happiness. We all have our ups and downs. We all have our own issues and stressful situations. We all have things that we worry about daily. Its human nature. But with that, take in the good. Take in the pleasantries that life gives you. I guess, I just want to say that I treasure those in my life and I pray that I don't lose anymore friends or family anytime soon. I do apologize if I missed anyone that we have lost as a community. But really, it just goes to show that we (as a community, and venn diagram-like circles of friends) have lost entirely too many people in our day. Nobody, especially people as young as us, should ever have to think of the loss of a friend or family member as "another one." When someone falls ill or is involved in an accident, I have to force myself to have faith in their strength and will to live. I can't think about the worst possible outcome. Its too much for me to handle. I wish with everything I have that I could somehow bestow health, happiness, and LIFE to those that I care about. Since I have no magical powers to do so, I am forced to settle with saying I love you. Repeatedly. Despite the fact that I can't actually GIVE the things listed above, I'm going to continue to wish them. Everyday I am thankful for the people in my life. You were put in my path for a reason. Whatever your beliefs may be, I am grateful. Eternally. Don't ever forget that. I love you all. Sweet dreams and goodnight. May the sun rise to greet you in the morning. And wake you again from a peaceful slumber.

In honor of those we've lost~
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there... I do not sleep.
I am the thousand winds that blow...
I am the diamond glints on snow...
I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you waken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of gentle birds in circling flight...
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there... I did not die...

No comments:

Post a Comment